Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Stability in the Storm {Part 2 of 4} Live a Giving Life

Give and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.  For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Luke 6:38

I’ve heard this passage preached on several times and from what I remember it has always been used in reference to finances and wealth.  Although that is not totally inaccurate, because that verse does hold true concerning wealth, I believe Jesus is touching on something broader. 

Give and it will be given to you

This giving, is giving to others which is different than giving to God. God is good to us regardless of our giving to him.  

Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.

In the previous verses in Luke 6:30, Jesus says to give to everyone who asks you and then in verse 35 he says to give without expecting to get anything in return.  Jesus is specifically referring to what he was just speaking about, which is loving others without expectation. Then in verse 38 Jesus explains this supernatural law: when you give, it will be given to you in the same measurement you originally gave.

Since God’s word is true and this is one of his laws, then ask yourself, what measurement am I using to give and what can I give to others?  Here’s what I’m working on:
                 -forgiveness
                -mercy
                -kindness
                -compassion
                -time
                -finances
                -love
                -friendship
                -acceptance

Now consider reading this list as what you will receive back, in the very same amount that which you gave.

This week, I’m challenging myself to use a bigger measure to give out to others.  Will you join me?  Make your own list of what you are able to give and what you want to receive back.  

This is a life of balance.  This is a life of stability; the life we are meant to live.

You can reach me on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pathoftheblessing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Website:

www.pathoftheblessing.com