Monday, May 27, 2013

Heart Song: Death of a Loved One


Today I lost a dear friend to a long battle for life against stage four cancer.  Her name is Colleen and you will find some of her comments on this blog.  She was an encouraging voice in my life and I will miss her immensely.


As I am sorting through my emotions of disbelief and sadness I remembered my book and how death was something Abraham had experienced as well.  So I turned to what I know best, God’s word and the inspiration that he gave me in my book.

 Here is an excerpt from my book, Path of the Blessing:

(Found in Genesis 23)

Walking Through the Valley

   Some time later Abraham was told that his brother Nahor had had sons, one of which was Bethuel who became the father of Rebekah.  This is significant because Rebekah goes on to marry Isaac, Sarah and Abraham’s son.

   Sarah then dies at 127 years old.  She died in Hebron in the land of Canaan.  The bible says that Abraham mourned for Sarah and wept over her at her side.  This is definitely a valley experience, when someone you love dies.

    At some point in all of our lives we will find that we walk through the valley of the shadow of death.  This can be experiencing the death of a loved one, or the death of a relationship.  Just because we are finding ourselves in a valley on our path, doesn’t necessarily mean we have gotten off of our path of blessingGod has led us there and he will lead us through.

 Psalm 23 “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. 
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” (NIV)

   If you are finding yourself in a valley right now, keep trusting and following the Lord to lead you through. 

As I finished reading these words, it stood out to me that not only will Jesus lead me through, but that death itself is merely a shadow of the reality of eternity we experience as believers and followers of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 23 in the King James version puts it this way in verse 4, Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Colleen is now reveling in the presence of the Lord, dancing, and basking in the bliss that only Heaven can offer without a care for the old shadow that this world has now become to her.

So I write all this to say, be comforted by Jesus.  He will lead you through and this life is merely a shadow of the eternity to come.  We will see our loved ones again because of our relationship with Jesus.  AND that brings me great comfort.
Love you Colleen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Website:

www.pathoftheblessing.com