Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Heart Song: Infertility



Infertility.  This is a subject that has hit close to home, too close and I want to share a little of my story with you today.  Here is an excerpt from my book, “Path of the Blessing.”

   Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebekah. Isaac prayed to the Lord on behalf of his wife, because she was barren; she couldn't have children.

   Two things struck home with me in this paragraph above.  One, Rebekah was unable to get pregnant and two, Isaac prayed to the Lord for his wife to get pregnant.

   How many married couples have you known that are desperately trying to get pregnant with no results?  I’ve known plenty, and in fact it happened to me. 

   Back in 1998 my husband and I decided that we were ready to start a family.  I honestly thought, “How hard could it be, right?”  Well, we tried for a year and nothing.  I prayed and prayed and still nothing.  With each passing month, realizing that I was still not pregnant grew a deep heartache.  My husband and I didn’t know what we were doing wrong.  “Is this normal?” was one of the questions I would ponder.  All I could think about was “Why is this happening to me?”  I began to feel depressed. 

   After a year of trying on our own with no success, I decided to make an appointment with my doctor.  In between waiting for my doctor’s appointment I had the weekend before me.  During this time in our lives, we were attending a church that was experiencing a move of God.  People were miraculously healed, souls saved, and people baptized.  It was an amazing time.  Every night was a service and so that Friday night, Troy and I had planned to go.

   I had gone to the front of the church for prayer before, but still, no pregnancy.  My husband and I prayed every night and still nothing. So this time, I decided to dive into worship, let all my worries go, and focus on pouring my heart’s worship out to God.  As I did this, I experienced a vision.

   In the vision, I was receiving something from the Lord, and I held it close to my heart.  (There were more details than this, but you get the general idea)  After the service, I told my husband every detail of the vision and then he got this funny look on his face.  I had no idea what I had received, and was waiting for him to tell me the interpretation.

   He told me that it was a baby, that we were pregnant!  Two days later, I took a pregnancy test and sure enough, it was true.  I ended up keeping my doctor’s appointment, but now, instead of an appointment for exploring fertility treatments, it was an appointment to start the journey of pregnancy.

   All I can say looking back, is that it took God and it took faith along that yearlong journey.  God came through for me, and he’ll come through for you.

   Secondly, Isaac had prayed for Rebekah.  How many husbands are praying over their wives? I am blessed to be married to a man who loves the Lord.  There was a time when we both didn’t make much of an effort to grow in our relationship with God, but God led us and we followed.  We chose to spend time in the word together and we chose to spend time in prayer together.  It was a path we had chosen to walk.  I believe that from my husband covering me in prayer for a baby, it made a difference. It made a difference for Isaac and Rebekah too, in fact so much so that they were blessed with twins!


Maybe you are still waiting on God.  Don’t give up; keep your faith strong by keeping in relationship with Jesus.  Do you have a story to tell?  I would love to read your story in the comments….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Website:

www.pathoftheblessing.com