Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Superhero" Syndrome


Back in March of 2009, I remember feeling overwhelmed, and anxious.  I was a mom trying to “do it all” playing a part that I don’t remember trying out for.  Many other women are playing the same role as I was, “Supermom” or “Super-wife” or how about “Super-spiritual woman”?   What I didn’t realize was that I was suffering from “Superhero” syndrome.  -A seemingly contagious syndrome brought on by the willingness of the host to compete with other women.


Standing in my kitchen, my heart started to race and I thought, “Oh no, I am NOT having one of those anxiety attacks.”  Super-people types like me surly didn’t EVER experience those! (I’m hoping you sense my sarcasm)  So I realized, it was trying to take hold of me, so I prayed.  I asked God to give me a verse in the Bible to pray over myself to bring me some peace.  I felt in my spirit to turn to Psalm 62 and so I did.  Here’s what it says:

Psalm 62 (God’s Word Translation) (I added the highlighting for emphasis)

   For the choir director; according to Jeduthun; a psalm by David.

 1My soul waits calmly for God alone.
   My salvation comes from him.
2He alone is my rock and my savior—my stronghold.
   I cannot be severely shaken.

 3How long will all of you attack a person?
How long will you try to murder him,
   as though he were a leaning wall or a sagging fence?
    4They plan to force him out of his high position.
      They are happy to lie.
      They bless with their mouths,
         but in their hearts they curse.
                         Selah
 5Wait calmly for God alone, my soul,
   because my hope comes from him.
6He alone is my rock and my savior—my stronghold.
   I cannot be shaken.

 7My salvation and my glory depend on God.
   God is the rock of my strength, my refuge.
8Trust him at all times, you people.
Pour out your hearts in his presence.
      God is our refuge.
                         Selah
 9Common people are only a whisper in the wind.
Important people are only a delusion.
   When all of them are weighed on a scale, they amount to nothing.
   They are less than a whisper in the wind.
10Do not count on extortion to make you rich.
Do not hope to gain anything through robbery.
   When riches increase, do not depend on them.

 11God has spoken once.
   I have heard it said twice:
      “Power belongs to God.
       12Mercy belongs to you, O Lord.
            You reward a person based on what he has done.”

I literally prayed this prayer over myself, YES, out loud!  Then I wrote out my own personal version:
My soul finds rest in God alone.
He alone is my rock.
I will never be shaken.

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
My honor depends on God.

Trust in Him at all times; pour out your hearts to Him
For His is our safe place.

Though my riches increase, I will not set my heart on them.

You, O God, are strong.
You, O Lord, are loving.

When I got done praying this, my heart slowed back down and the weight of “doing it all” lifted.

A simple cure for the “Superhero” syndrome we all seem to get once in a while.  The best thing to do is not to catch it at all.  I’ve learned to stop this “Superhero” syndrome from developing (resulting in anxiety like symptoms); I need to stop trying to compete with other women.

So what about you?  Are you suffering from “Superhero” syndrome brought on by petty competition with others?  I challenge you to try the cure: pray and ask God to show you in His Word then let go and find rest for your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Website:

www.pathoftheblessing.com